More than 700 people have recovered from the coronavirus in Vermont, according to an estimate from the Vermont Department of Health on May 6.
The department is now including an estimate of how many people recovered from the coronavirus in its online dashboard. The news came in the health department’s daily update on COVID-19, the official name of the disease related to the coronavirus that first started to affect people at the end of 2019.
People are considered recovered when:
- They’ve gone three full fever-free days without using medication to reduce the fever.
- Their symptoms have improved and a minimum of 10 days have gone by since the symptoms initially started.
- (If the individual was asymptomatic and tested positive:) They’ve gone a minimum of 10 days without developing symptoms.
Gathering this information is not a typical practice for epidemiologists when investigating diseases. “Because of this new challenge, this method provides us our best estimate, and many other states are reporting recovery data this way,” the department wrote.
How does the department track recovered cases?
The department estimates this number when:
- Someone who tested positive reports recovery in their follow-up calls with investigation teams.
- At least thirty days have gone by since the start of illness or, if that date is unknown, the date an individual’s positive result is reported to the department.
The recovery estimates are based on confirmed positive COVID-19 cases, according to a Q&A section on the department’s website.
The department clarified the recovery number should not be used to determine how many are currently sick with the virus.
“People we do know about may be recovered – we just haven’t reached out to them yet or we haven’t deemed them recovered yet,” the department’s website states.
Additionally, there could still be people with the virus who have not undergone testing.
Contact Maleeha Syed at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-495-6595. Follow her on Twitter @MaleehaSyed89.
Read or Share this story: https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2020/05/06/vermonts-health-department-estimates-people-recovered-coronavirus-covid-19-data-tracker/5179733002/